What are home appliances? How important are they for our everyday lives? Have you ever given these questions a thought? If you haven’t, then imagine your washing machine breaking down or your refrigerator shutting down. It only calls for a chaotic situation. What most of us fail to realize is that home appliances play a very important role in keeping the house functioning and running at all times. Instead of facing this mess, keep your appliances healthy and efficient by making use of certain home appliances maintenance tips.
And no, maintenance does not particularly require a professional handyman. Regular care and cleaning can do wonders as well. All you have to do is make a few changes in the way you use your home appliances and clean them regularly. Here are some smart tricks that will keep your home appliances running for long.
Home Appliances Maintenance Tips: Air Conditioner
Air conditioners are our salvage during the burning summer months. However, maintenance is a yearlong affair. And here is how you can keep your air conditioner efficient for long:
- Clean the air filters regularly; clogged and dirty air filters block fresh air flow. Make sure that you clean the air filters every few months.
- Cover the compressor during the winter months when the air conditioner is not in use. This will prevent dust and dirt from entering the compressor unit.
Home Appliances Maintenance Tips: Refrigerator
Refrigerators are the heart of every kitchen. Every kitchen is incomplete without a fridge. Here are some of the maintenance tips for a refrigerator:
- Most of the times, whenever a refrigerator stops working, the problem is because of the coils. These coils tend to get dirty and collect dust. So, clean the refrigerator coils regularly. Coils are usually found on the rear bottom on most of the products from the refrigerator price list in India.
- Do not overstuff your fridge. When you overstuff a refrigerator, it tends to work extra hard to maintain the temperature, which eventually consumes a lot of power.
- Check the rubber seals on the refrigerator door. The rubber seal ensures that the fridge door is shut properly and keeps out warm air. If you see any tears in the seal, it is time to replace it.
Home Appliances Maintenance Tips: Microwave Oven
A microwave oven has made heating and baking easier. In fact, grill microwave ovens also offer the comfort of cooking grilled food at home. If you use your microwave oven on a regular basis, here are some maintenance tips:
- Make sure that the microwave oven door has a tight seal. When the microwave seal has some defect, you tend to lose over 20 per cent heat. Moreover, this can also cause the food to be cooked unevenly or food takes longer to cook.
- One of the most important things to remember while using a microwave is to never run it empty. Just to make use of the microwave timer while cooking something else in the kitchen can inflict permanent damage.
Home Appliances Maintenance Tips: Washing Machine
Fully automatic washing machines have helped reduce the burden of household chores. But every now and then even your washing machine needs some cleaning. Here’s what you can do:
- No matter what you do, do not try to overload your washing machine just to save time, water and electricity. Overloading can cause extensive damage to the motors which is expensive to fix.
- The inside of your washing machine also needs cleaning from time to time. This will also help in your washed clothes smelling clean and fresh.
- Keep a check on the hoses and pipes for any tear or damage. If you find any weakness, replace the hose before it causes a leak or burst.