The sweltering summer months are already upon us. And surviving these escalating temperatures can get a little too uncomfortable. Air coolers are the easiest and most affordable way to beat this scorching heat. Along with being extremely affordable, air coolers are also environmental friendly. Additionally, they are ideal for places that are both hot and dry. However, with so many different types of air coolers, brands and products available in the market, making a choice can get confusing. Things like the size and type of cooler play a major role when you make your choice. To make your choice easier, here is a brief look at our air cooler buying guide. Our air cooler buying guide will give you an insight into the different types of air coolers, advantages and the things to consider. Take a look!
Air Cooler Buying Guide: Advantages of buying an Air Cooler
- Most people would prefer buying an air conditioner instead of an air cooler. However, air cooler have their own set of advantages that make them a better choice. Here’s a look at some of the advantages of owning an air cooler.
- The very first advantage of opting for an air cooler is that they are economical and cost-effective. It is easy to find high-quality air coolers below 7000. On the other hand, a basic air conditioner will cost you more than Rs 30,000.
- Air coolers consume minimum energy, this means you will not have to deal with sky-rocketing electricity bills. They are a big save on electricity
- They offer fresh air – air coolers provide air with the help of cool water. This is more natural and safe for your health.
- They are eco-friendly and do not cause any harmful effect on the surrounding environment.
- Another major advantage of air coolers is that they are portable. You can easily move the air cooler from one room to another without any hassle.
Air Cooler Buying Guide: Types of Air Coolers
Air coolers are available in 5 different types. Every type of air cooler comes with different features and functionality. To give you a better understanding of how every air cooler works and which one you should pick, here are the different types of air coolers available in the market.
Personal air coolers are mainly ideal for places that receive humid weather conditions. These coolers are designed mainly for small rooms and areas. Additionally, personal air coolers are energy efficient and consume less energy. They are also quite and do not make a lot of noise. In spite of having small water tanks, these air coolers can run for hours and provide you with cool air at a go. Here are some benefits of personal air coolers:
- Ideal for small or medium-sized rooms
- Mainly used in areas where extreme cooling is not required
- Very economical – you can find easily find air coolers below 5000 in this type
- Allows 20-30 litres of water capacity
Like the name already suggests, desert air coolers are mainly preferred in areas that receive climatic conditions. These air coolers are large and easily cool a large room. To ensure that the entire room receives cool air, these air coolers are designed with large water tanks that distribute cool air to every corner of the room. Interestingly, these air coolers can also be used outdoors. Here are a few advantages of desert coolers:
- Can easily cool medium and large sized rooms
- They are built with huge fans that make the cooling process easy
- Water tank capacity usually varies between 30 – 60 litres; this lessens the need to refill the cooler every few hours
These coolers are tall and come with the vents placed on the top. Since these coolers are tall, they occupy minimum amount of space, making them easier to store. Moreover, tower air coolers are also a great option if you require instant cooling. Since, the vents are at a height, cool air is conveniently circulated around the room. In terms of cooling and water tank capacity, these coolers are considerably better than desert air coolers. However, they are also comparatively on the expensive side. Take a look at some of the advantages:
- Offer high cooling efficiency
- Large water tanks make reduce the need to refill water every few hours
- Due to their tall shape, these coolers require minimum amount of space for storage
- All thanks to their height, these coolers can offer instant cooling throughout the room
These coolers are pretty similar to personal air coolers. These coolers are specifically designed for cooling smaller rooms and spaces. Furthermore, they consume minimal amount of energy and are pretty affordable. Plus, these coolers are small in size and come with smaller water tanks. Following are some of the benefits of a room cooler:
- These coolers are perfect for small and medium-sized rooms
- They use blowers for distributing cool air across the room
Window air coolers are very similar to window air conditioners in India. These type of air coolers do not require any extra space for storage and are directly installed into the window unit. Nevertheless, if you do not want to install them in a window, you can also use them as portable coolers by placing them on trolleys. They are the best options for small offices and big rooms. Here are some of the advantages:
- They only consume 1/10th of the energy generally used by an air conditioner
- They do not require any additional space in a room
- Large water tanks that can hold 50 litres of water reduce the need to refill regularly
Air Cooler Buying Guide: Things to Consider
Once you have understood the different available types of air coolers in India, it becomes easier to make a choice. After picking the air cooler that is suitable for you, here are some of the aspects that you need to consider.
Water Tank Capacity
Deciding on the water tank capacity is the most crucial task while buying an air cooler. The air cooler capacity is usually decided based on the size of your room. To make things simpler, here is the ideal capacity based on the size of a room.
|Room Size||Air Cooler Water Tank Capacity|
|Up to 100 sq.ft.||10-litre capacity air coolers|
|100 – 300 sq.ft.||11 litre – 30 litre capacity air coolers|
|300 – 500 sq.ft.||31 litre – 50 litre capacity air coolers|
|More than 500 sq.ft.||Above 50-litre capacity air coolers|
All the latest air coolers come built with cooling pads which plays a major role in cooling the air. These cooling pads are usually attached to the sides. There are currently two cooling pads that you can pick from – Honeycomb cooling pads and Aspen wood wool cooling pads. Here’s what is different between these two.
Honeycomb cooling pads
- As the name suggests, these cooling pads are shaped like honeycombs and are made with cellulose material
- These pads are efficient and durable
- They are slightly pricey but are also easy to maintain
Aspen wood wool cooling pads
- These cooling pads look like grass and are mainly made of wood shavings
- They are affordable
- Compared to honeycomb cooling pads, they are less durable and are difficult to maintain
And the final point on our air cooler buying guide is choosing the brand. After deciding on the type and size the final thing to do is – pick a brand. There are various high-end brands in the market that you will have to choose from. Havells air coolers and Voltas air coolers are some of the best products in the market. Additionally, there are companies like Crompton Greaves, Voltas, Symphony, Kenstar and Havells that offer air coolers in all types and sizes.