For many travelers, their Smartphone have become more of their companion than a simple luxury gadget. For tourist, mobile phones can be more than a device to just receive or make a call. Most of the times, they can be a great problem solver. For example, your Smartphone can be used to enable the flashlight and use it as a torch. The same device can be used as a camera to click dozens of photographs that eliminates the need to carry a camera. It can maintain quick notes without a struggle to carry a pen in travel bag. Useful apps in the phone helps to easily convert currency, book flights, or hunt for lodging and what not.
So, before you plan your next trip, you must check this ultimate list of smartphones, apps, features which can really provide you ease while travelling within the country or abroad.
Features You Should Look For in a Smartphone
Price doesn’t always reflect the quality. So, while buying a smartphone for travelling here are certain things which you should not ignore. Here is the checklist of some essentials you should consider while purchasing new mobile –
- GSM Unlocked: Not all devices support for international GSM SIM cards. So, be sure to purchase a GSM phone. A CDMA enable device may cause trouble while travelling abroad.
- Quad-band: The bandwidth support for your device decides whether it will work in a particular country or not. Check whether the phone supports all four international bandwidths.
- Data access: If you want to use the internet to access your emails, download maps, share pictures, or use apps that require the internet; purchase a 4G Mobile phone that supports internet connectivity or has Wi-Fi access.
- Charging: Primarily, it is always better to select mobile phones with big battery or long battery life. Also, make sure the charging port or jack on the device which supports universal standards. However, most of the smartphone today offer USB or standard charger which can be used while travelling. Keep in mind that different countries use different plug types as well as a different voltage for their electrical outlets. Therefore, the charger of your mobile should support the full spectrum of 100V-240V.
Best Smartphones to Buy in 2016 for Travelers
Best Budget Smartphone–
No worries if you don’t have a decent budget for smartphone. Most of the low priced phones have gained popularity because of their performance in recent time. If you are looking for the best value for money smartphone under the budget of $250 (INR 16,000) then Motorola Moto G could be the best option for you.
The device supports 4G LTE, 3G, and 2G networks. It features a 13MP primary rear camera along with a 5MP camera on the front panel. The device is powered by a 1.4GHz Cortex-A53 quad-core processor coupled with 2GB of RAM and 8GB or 16GB internal storage options. The device is power backed by a 2470mAh Li-Ion big battery and it runs on an Android 5.1.1 operating system.
Best Mid-Range Smartphone
If you have a good budget to buy a smartphone, then Google Nexus 5X should be the pick. The phone serves best features and specifications which will help you in your journey. The phone is priced around $400 (INR 30,000).
The Google Nexus 5x highlights a 5.2-inch Full HD (1080×1920 pixels)display powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 808 1.8GHz hexacore processor paired with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage on board. The phone offers fingerprint scanner, a 12.3MP primary rear camera with LED Flash along with a 5MP front shooter. It runs Android 6.0 OS that is powered backed by a 2700mAh battery. The connectivity option includes Wi-Fi, GPS, USB Type-C, NFC, OTA Sync and Bluetooth.
Best High-End Smartphone
If you wish to buy a premium smartphone, look no further than Samsung Galaxy S7. The high-end flagship device will take care of all your needs. The Galaxy S7 features a massive 5.10-inch display with 1440×2560 pixel resolution. The device is powered by Snapdragon 820 octa-core processor with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage space. The device offers 12MP primary rear camera with a 5-MP front shooter. The device includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3G, 4G, GPS, and NFC on connectivity end. Sensors on the board comprise proximity, accelerometer, gyroscope and ambient light sensor. This entire feature loaded package is offered at a price around $570 (INR 43,400).
Best Apps For Travelers
Mobile apps are truly a blessing for every traveler. They can make your holidays much easier. If you are looking for best apps that will help you getting most from your travel, here is the list for you:
- Duolingo– Best app to learn International languages | Ratings: 4.7 on 5|Free on iOS and Google Play Store
- Splittr– Manage and split expense effectively | Ratings: 5 on 5 | $1.99 on iOS
- TripAdvisor– Find lowest accommodation, fares, food places and fun things to do | Ratings: 4.7 on 5 | Free on iOS and Google Play Store
- Google Translate– Translate easily between 103 languages. | Ratings: 4.4 on 5 | Free on iOS and Google Play Store
- XE Currency– Convert currency on-the-go. |Ratings: 4.3 on 5 | Free on iOS and Google Play Store
Hope this ultimate list of latest smartphones, apps, and features for travelers had proved helpful.